The first few days back on land were taken up with spending time with my family. It was great to have Sarah and the kids, and my dad and Liz to greet me at the finish. I put them all to use helping me sort out and clean the boat. I’ve been getting quite a few questions about my these few days, so here are some bullet points:
- I had sea-legs for a good two days after I arrived. I could hop on the boat and clamber back and forth with ease, but walking on land was tricky. My calves are just not used to supporting my body weight. It will be a few weeks before I attempt a run.
- My lower back is achy. Seriously achy. Also just not used to standing up.
- My first meal was a cheeseburger and fries with a Mt. Dew. It was The Best.
- I haven’t been sleeping well still. The first few nights I would wake up and have to think hard that I didn’t have to get up and row or check the GPS if I was drifting in the right direction!
- I took 3 showers and 1 bath in my first 24 hours on land.
- The wonders of modern plumbing are never to be over-estimated, particularly the genius of the flushing toilet.
- I love having dry clothes and have been working to eliminate my “mould minions” that grew in the continual damp of the cabin.
- The laundry is not for the faint-hearted. Mouldy Goretex. My wife gets a gold medal.